Romantic Nafplio is one of the most beautiful cities in Greece. The first capital of the Greek state, before Athens took the reins, Nafplio was the crossroads of civilizations that left their mark on the architecture of the city but also on its aura that exudes charm!
Ancient, medieval, Ottoman and Venetian monuments, colorful flower balconies, picturesque cobbled alleys and the sea breeze make Nafplio unique! Ideal for short excursions, it will enchant you from the first moment you stroll in its streets.
The heart of the city beats in Syntagma Square where you will find two Turkish mosques, the Archaeological Museum and the Municipal Gallery.
Near the Square is the church of Agios Spyridon, of historical importance, as Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of Greece, was assassinated there.
Nafplio is full of cafes, taverns and bars to enjoy endless hours of carefree and relaxation. Everywhere you will find small shops with all kinds of souvenirs to get a gift to your loved ones when you leave.
The Old Town is embraced by the peninsula of Akronafplia or Its Kale. If you are a romantic soul then you will definitely enjoy a walk at sunset doing the “Tour of Arvanitia”, a beautiful coastal route around Akronafplia.
On the beach of Nafplio you can admire the bright Bourtzi, the stone building with a dark history, located on the island of Agios Theodoros and is a trademark of the city.
One thing is for sure, it is not possible to go to Nafplio and not visit Palamidi. 216 meters above the city and 999 steps from Akronafplia lead to the Castle of Palamidi.
With a panoramic view of the city and the Argolic sea, it stands haughtily with its imposing bastions. In Palamidi you can also visit the tiny cell that was the place of the unjust condemnation of the leader of the Greek revolution, Theodoros Kolokotronis.
During the summer months you can enjoy the sea in Nafplio by swimming on the beach of Arvanitia, Nea Kiou, Kiveri or the nearby Tolo.
- Visit by boat the famous Bourtzi, the Venetian fortress on the island of Agios Theodoros.
- Be patient and go up the 999 stairs to Palamidi as the view will compensate you.
- Take a tour of the city by train and admire the most important sights.
- Rent a bike and enjoy endless rides in beautiful Nafplio.
- The most important sights of the city are undoubtedly Bourtzi and the Castle of Palamidi!
- In Syntagma Square is Trianon, a building with a long history that was used as a mosque, was the first school in Greece and later became a conservatory, theater and cinema and the Parliament, also a mosque that later became the first Greek Parliament and today houses the Municipal Gallery of Nafplio.
- The Lion of the Bavarians, in the district of Pronoia, carved on the rocks is one of the first outdoor sculptures of the modern Greek state and its appearance is imposing!
- Throughout the city you will find sculptures of important personalities of the Greek revolution, such as the statue of the Old Man of Moria in Kolokotronis Park and the bust of Mantos Mavrogenous in Filellinon Square.
- To get to know the history of your city better, we suggest you visit the Archaeological Museum, the Peloponnesian and Folklore Foundation with the collection of 45,000 objects related to the newest and popular culture of Greece, the Museum of Childhood, the War Museum and the special Museum of the Rosary.
- A short distance from Nafplio is the important archaeological site of ancient Turin with the cyclopean walls built in the 14th BC.
In Nafplio you will find countless dining options. Seafood, meat or vegetarian dishes, in the restaurants and taverns of the city you will find fine delicacies, whatever you are looking for.
We suggest you try the goggles, the handmade pasta from Argolida that looks like shells and is served with local manouromizithra and hot oil and Bogana, a local recipe with lamb milk and potatoes in the hull. If you are a keen meat eater then choose piglet and giosa, ie mutton. While if you are a lover of vegetables then artichokes have their place of honor in Nafplio cuisine and get ready to enjoy them in a lot of variations.
And for dessert? In Nafplio the dessert is full of coolness as you will find some of the most beautiful ice creams in Greece. Try the traditional ice cream and the wonderful gelato flavors that you will find in the gelaterie of the city.