Kefalonia is the largest of the islands of the Ionian Sea.
Its emerald waters together with the lush green vegetation coexist harmoniously and create an oasis.
Cosmopolitan, with a long history and a stately aura, Kefalonia enchants every visitor from the first moment.
Its area helps if you love contrasts and the alternation of landscapes on your vacation, as you will find picturesque settlements and busy centers, organized beaches and other deceptive pristine beaches, natural landscape of unique beauty, monuments and museums, special gastronomy and rich nightlife!
The film “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin” was shot on the island, with which his beautiful landscapes became known.
Do not be late, choose Kefalonia for your vacation and we are sure you will not be disappointed!
The capital of the island and its largest city is the amphitheater Argostoli. In several places you will admire the Venetian architecture and elements of the ancient city with the Cyclopean Walls.
Take a walk on Lithostroto and the waterfront and relax in one of the cafes and bars. And if you want to have fun until the morning at a frantic pace then in Argostoli you will find a club for endless nights!
On the western peninsula of the island is the second largest city!
Lixouri with its traditional architecture, the famous square with figs, shops and cafes is an ideal destination for leisurely walks. In the idyllic Fiskardo you will find majestic mansions and old traditional two-storey houses with deep red tiles.
The sea and the green slopes that surround it create a landscape that looks like a painting!
Other beautiful places in Cephalonia that are definitely worth visiting are the Assos that enchants you with its austerity.
Full of pines and cypresses and close to Myrtos, one of the most famous beaches on the island!
Also visit the fairytale Kourkoumelata, a small village with a neoclassical character that is considered one of the most beautiful in the Balkans!
The coastline of Kefalonia is full of beautiful beaches. The popular Myrtos with its steep cliffs and clear blue waters, the tropical Eclipse with its white pebbles and Xi with its red sand are some of the most famous.
We suggest you others such as Antisamos and Foki, where the Monachus Monachus seals are collected.
- If you love hiking and nature, follow the organized paths in the Ainos National Park and visit the Koutavos Environmental Information Center.
- If you go to Kefalonia and do not go boating in the Cave of Melissani it will be as if you have not visited it! Equip yourself and start to meet a wonder of nature and the most photographed part of the island. The beams of light that invade the cave from the roof and illuminate the clear blue waters will enchant you!
- If you are a wine lover then do not forget to visit the wineries of the area and enjoy an unforgettable tasting experience that will surely include the famous Robola, the local wine with an unsurpassed reputation!
Are you looking like crazy for a little adrenaline on your vacation? In Kefalonia you will find organized centers for mountain biking, surfing, trekking and rappelling!
But what is a vacation without fun? If you want to really get to know the aura of the island, visit one of the festivals of Kefalonia. This island loves music, which is why festivals and festivals are organized every year. We suggest you the barcaroles, music nights of traditional chant that take place in boats under the full moon in Lixouri and Assos, but also the celebration of Robola in Balsamata!
Finally, from Kefalonia you can rent a boat or sailboat and visit the neighboring islands while strolling in the green waters of the Ionian Sea!
- For anyone who is enchanted by the power of nature, Kefalonia is an ideal destination. The special geology of the island has created amazing landscapes and natural attractions. Visit the cave of Melissani or the lagoon cave of the Nymphs, the cave of Drogarati, the sinks just outside Argostoli but also the lush Ainos, with the dense fir forest.
- For a look at the traditional folk architecture of Kefalonia, choose to take a walk in Fiskardo. In Argostoli he admired the bridge of Devosset of 1813, the lantern of Agios Theodoros and the house of Fokas-Kosmetatos, the only mansion that has survived in the city. While in Lixouri do not miss to visit the Iakovatio Public Library of 1866 which houses the Museum of Typald Iakovatos!
- If you are interested in discovering something of the religiosity of the island then visit the pan-Hellenic pilgrimage of the cave and the monastery of Agios Gerasimos located in the center of the plain with the vineyards of Robola and the Monastery of Ag. Andreas of the 13th c. with its excellent Ecclesiastical Museum.
Kefalonia is an island with an important history and tradition. If you want to discover them, visit the Archaeological Museum of Argostoli with the important findings, the Korgialenio Historical and Folklore Museum, where the social history of the island is highlighted, as well as the Maritime and Environmental Museum of Fiskardo.
- Some of the most important sights of the island are its castles. The medieval Castle of Ag. Georgiou in Peratata and the Venetian castle of Assos will take you back in time! And if you want to admire something of the Roman glamor of the island then take a walk in the Roman villa of Skala and Ag. Efimias with the impressive mosaic floors and in the Roman baths of Sami and Fiskardo.
You will find a mixture of cultures that passed through the island in gastronomy! Wonderful flavors and fine local products will introduce you to the secrets of Ionian cuisine.
Try the famous Kefalonian cheeses such as prenza, kefalotyri and giza and find one of the best Greek slices! Get the famous Kefalonian spruce honey and accompany your meals with the local varieties of wine such as Robola, Tsaousi and Bostilidi.
In the taverns and restaurants of the island we suggest you look for spicy Sofigado, Bourgetto, a local recipe with fish and Prokado, casserole with garlic and cloves. Try the delicious Kefalonian pies with artichoke, cod, octopus or onion and accompany them with cigarettes, weeds of the island with aromas.
To sweeten, choose the local dishes that are dominated by almond, such as almond pies and nougat!